In 1907 two alleys were installed in the James St. Armouries for use by the officers. Originally they were thought to be in the basement but they were actually on the main floor. The space was then a rifle range, storage area and now a supply room. In 1890 four alleys were in use on the second floor of 66 James St. N., Hamilton’s first public alleys. The sign for the alleys,” MacDonalds” can still be seen at the top of the third floor. The space is now a McMaster student residence.